JFK Primary Football Team

2018/2019 Season

24 Jan 2019 - Five a-side football


A good start to the new football season was made last night in the Autumn Cup - the team played brilliantly. In our first game, a goal by Thomas Hurst was enough to secure the win in a dominant performance.

The second game was a ruthless display, as JFK ran out 3 nil winners against Albany, thanks to goals from Alex McNally, Thomas Hurst and Jordan Dale.

In our final group game, against George Washington, we needed a win to progress due to goal difference. However, despite going 1 nil up, through Alex, we conceded two goals for a 2-1 defeat.

The boys played excellently though and should be proud of how they performed. On to the league now, where we play our first game, on Thursday, at home, against Lambton.


Our football team played their first league game of the season last night and ran out comfortable 6 nil victors.

It was a truly dominant display from start to finish from the boys which they should be very happy with. Alex McNally, with 4 goals, was the star of the show from central midfield but was ably supported by Adam Rogers (2 goals) and a solid defence that kept a clean sheet.

Next week, we play two games, versus Blackfell and Marlborough, at Blackfell.


The football team produced a battling performance in tricky conditions last night to record a deserved 1-nil victory against Blackfell.

Thomas Hurst popped up with the crucial winner near the end of the first half and the boys comfortably held on for the win.

In the second game, against Marlborough, the boys played brilliantly to go in at half-time with a 3-nil lead (goals from Thomas Hurst x 2 and Adam Rogers). After the break, a few more chances came but to no avail.

However, we were happy with another 2 points and a clean sheet. Next week we play away, against Our Lady Queen of Peace.


In a hard fought game against a strong and physical Our Lady team, JFK came away with a point after a 0-0 draw.

In a tough first half, we found it difficult to get into the game. However, in the second half we came into it more as it opened up.

A brilliant free kick by Owen Watts was saved by their keeper and a good chance saved off a Thomas Hurst shot meant we could have taken it but a draw overall was probably a fair result.


In our final game before the league season shuts down for the winter, we came away with an impressive four nil win against Springwell.

The first half did have its dangerous moments as the opposition hit the side netting with a fierce shot and a good cross into the box was headed over the bar.

Thankfully though, Alex McNally popped up with a low shot into the bottom left corner to take a one nil lead at half time. In the second half, JFK had near total domination and had wave after wave of attack; Jonathan Noble in goal hardly had a touch.

Theo Middleton scored the second with a good shot, Thomas Hurst hit the third and Adam Rogers scored a fourth from the penalty spot. Five clean sheets from five games in the opening half of the season is mightily impressive and all of the boys have been fantastic.

We do have two games, from week two, against Rickleton and Holley Park, which were postponed due to a school trip. These will be rearranged at a later date.


Last night, at Washington Leisure Centre, JFK began the defence of their Washington Primary Schools’ FUTSAL trophy. First up was Rickleton, this year’s winners of the Autumn Cup and currently undefeated in our 7-a-side outdoor league.

It was a really tough game but we more than held our own and probably had the best chances in the game. Unfortunately, we couldn’t take one and the game ended 0-0.

In our second game of the night, we played Holley Park and it was another tough game but one where we enjoyed the majority of the possession and had the better chances.

A fine goal from a corner, by Theo Middleton, 10 secs after coming on as a sub, was enough to secure the win. A really pleasing night and two fantastic results.


Last night, JFK played our last three group games of the 2018 FUTSAL tournament. A comprehensive win against Biddick started the night as we scored five goals without reply (Theo Middleton/Cameron Swan/Owen Watts x 3).

A tougher second game, against Usworth Colliery, saw us struggle to break them down. However, after scoring the first (Theo) we quickly got another two and held on for a comfortable win (Owen and Alex McNally).

Our final game of the night was against our derby rivals, George Washington, and we quickly took the lead (Alex). Despite this, we became sloppy in possession and started to invite pressure.

After a couple of good saves by Jonathan Noble, we eventually conceded – our first in 6 games. Fortunately, we managed to reassert ourselves on the game and scored another two to finish 3-1 (Owen and Adam Rogers).

Well done boys.


Durham County Girls’ Final

Last Friday, our girls’ football team played in the County Durham Final at The Riverside, Chester-Le-Street.

A tough opening game ended in a 0-0 draw with Newbottle, although JFK should count themselves unfortunate not to get a penalty near the end for a foul in the box.

In our second game, against Bluecoat, we had more possession but could not work many clear chances. In the end, we conceded from a wonder strike, which we could not do much about.

The final group game was versus St. Leonards and it was another tight game. However, we managed to score through Abigail Watson and then controlled the game for a deserved win.

Our results were not enough to win the group and qualify for the final but the girls should be proud of their efforts throughout the competitions.


After winning the FUTSAL league, played over the previous 5 weeks, JFK and the teams in 2nd and 3rd (OLQP and Rickleton) competed in the A final last night at Washington Leisure Centre.

A tough game first up against OLQP resulted in a one nil defeat for us. In truth, we struggled to find our form from earlier in the tournament and found it difficult to create chances. In the second game of the night, Rickleton defeated OLQP 2-0.

Knowing we needed to win by two clear goals, we came out of the blocks quickly against Rickleton and scored early. We were playing really well and started dominating the game but unfortunately could not score from numerous chances.

A couple of injuries began to quell any momentum we had and Rickleton managed to pull one goal back. In the end, Rickleton won 3-1 and in doing so won the 2018 Washington FUTSAL competition.

Congratulations, girls!