Attendance Information for Parents and Carers
We are sure that you share our desire for every child to succeed at school. Regular attendance is vital for children’s progress and parents have a legal duty to ensure that their children attend school regularly and that they arrive on time. Regular attendance and good punctuality will help your child feel part of our school community.
We believe that encouraging good attendance is the joint responsibility of staff and parents / carers.
Each pupil’s attendance is monitored on a daily basis by the school.
- Morning Nursery 08:50 – 11:50 Afternoon Nursery 12:20 – 15:20
- Key Stage 1 08:50 – 15:20 Key Stage 2 08:50 – 15:20
Please arrive for a prompt start.
What to do if your child is absent from school
If your child is absent from school, it is important that you inform school in the following ways
- Telephone school by 09:30 on the 1st day of absence and inform us of the reason for the child’s absence.
- On return to school please write a not to give reasons for the absence
- If your child needs to leave the school premises at a certain time of will be late for school due to a medical appointment, please inform the school in advance or send a note or official appointment card into school.
- If your child has a long stay in hospital or at home due to illness, please contact school in advance so that we can make arrangements for appropriate work to be sent home.
- If your child has been away from school for a long period of time for whatever reason, please contact school to organise an appropriate return to school for your child.
Non-attendance from school may only be authorised by school for the following reasons:
- If your child is too ill to attend
- If your child has a medical appointment (please make every effort to arrange appointments outside of school hours)
- If your child is attending a religious festival or gathering of the religious body to which you belong
- If your child has been given permission by the head teacher to take up to two weeks holiday within term time.
School holiday dates are distributed well in advance and further copies can be obtained from the school office. Although we understand that there are occasions when you need to take your child out of school, we strongly urge that you try to avoid arranging family holidays in term time as this seriously disrupts their schooling and will have a negative effect on their progress and achievement.
What happens if my child is late for school?
In the interest of child safety the school doors are shut at 09:00am and every attempt should be made to ensure that your child arrives promptly at 08:50am. Pupils arriving after 09:00am must go to the school office where they will be registered and a reason for lateness recorded. KS1 pupils will be escorted to classroom by a member of the office staff. On no account should you try to get your child into the building through other doors after 09:00am even if a door has been left open or if other pupils / staff are delivering registers and opening doors. Children who have not been correctly registered may not be listed in the event of a fire.
If you know that you cannot get your child/children into school before 9:30am, you must telephone the school office (0191 4906454). Arrival after 09:30 is classed as unauthorised for the session.
What happens if my child does not attend school on a regular basis and the absences ae not authorised by the school:
The school will work with you and your child to support an improvement in attendance. If an improvement is not made then the school has a responsibility to refer any pupil’s low attendance rate to the School Inclusion Officer.
The role of the School Inclusion Officer is to work with parents and school to find a solution to the attendance problems. Where parents do not co-operate and the attendance of compulsory age pupils does not improve, legal action may be considered which can, in some cases, result in prosecution.
We are committed to supporting your child to attend school on a regular basis and would welcome your support. If you have any questions about this information sheet or any attendance concerns, please contact Mrs Mellor (Head of School)